Lode Runner - Decepticon Custom Level

Show me you care and share, share SHARE!

Transformers and Lode Runner are united again in my new custom Decepticon-style Lode Runner level design. I can't believe I didn't do more themed custom Lode Runner level designs like this back in the 80's when these two enthralling forms of entertainment were as new and modern as Max Headroom, bad-ass rock stars who wore more makeup than their girlfriends, and a time traveling Delorean that journeyed Back to the Future. Check out the Lode Runner himself as he collects his "gold" (those red boxes) all over this custom Decepticon level design:

I'm enjoying this trip back to one of my favorite 80's (home computer) video games. I think my previous Autobot custom level ended up looking a little more like the actual Autobot logo (from the Transformers TV cartoon series) than this Decepticon one does. Details are difficult to pull off in the 28x16 block level design area, but I tried. This will probably be my last Transformers-themed level. All the publicity and hype over the recent Transformers movie stirred up in me this particular theme.

There are other memorable 80's bits and pieces that I want to pay tribute to in more custom Lode Runner level designs. If time allows, I'll be bricking them together in future custom levels and publishing video of them in action.

Is there anything you'd like to see be transformed in to a custom Lode Runner level? Shoot me your ideas. If I dig the idea (and if I was planning on going in that direction anyway), I'll lay down the bricks, cement, ladders, trap-doors, and mysterious red gold boxes in that pattern and demonstrate it in a short video.

Show me you care and share, share SHARE!

11 Comments

Anonymous on July 21, 2008 11:19 AM

How do you make custom levels on lode runner?

@Anonymous - Making custom levels in Lode Runner is fairly simple because it came with a built-in level editor. To edit existing levels or make your own from scratch, load up the game on the original hardware or in an emulator (my Lode Runner videos were made via emulation) and enter the level editor function - CTRL+E if memory serves. Move the cursor with the arrow keys and use number keys to choose the type of block you want. Save the level(s) and enjoy. :-)

Anonymous on July 21, 2008 7:46 PM

Thanks. Now I can make levels for C64!

Anonymous on July 21, 2008 7:54 PM

I'm very sorry that I keep on posting here, but I'm having another problem. When I select a level to edit, a message pops up and says "User not allowed to edit levels. Press any ket to continue." What am I supposed to do?

Press CTRL+E (usually TAB+E on a PC keyboard) to enter the level editor. Press "I" to initialize, then choose "Y" for yes. Press "E" to edit, then choose level 1. Use I, J, K, M to move the cursor. Use keys 1-9 to set the different block-types on the screen. Remember to include your escape ladder to the top of screen. Repeat for additional levels if you choose. Create a disc ROM image to save your custom levels on (or just save state). Enjoy the old-school, Lode Runner awesome custom level goodness!

Anonymous on July 23, 2008 6:43 AM

It wont let me intalize either. I keep on getting this message: "USER NOT ALLOWED TO MANIPULATE MASTER DISKETTE."

Sit tight, my anonymous friend. I'm working on a basic tutorial on how to edit levels, complete with screen captures. It should be ready in a day or two (barring unforeseen obstacles).

Anonymous (last post here (i hope) on July 23, 2008 8:02 PM

Thanks, I really need a tut. Guess I'll be back in a few days!

Guess who. :P on July 24, 2008 9:02 PM

If you get this message before you put out the video, could you just tell me how to get past the "USER NOT ALLOWED TO MANIPULATE MASTER DISKETTE." message? That's all I really need to know, and I want to find out soon, because on Saturday I'm going camping for EIGHT DAYS.

Ok...when is the tutorial going to be ready? It's been almost a month since you announced it.

@Anonymous - I published the tutorial almost a week ago. I even added links to it to all my Lode Runner video pages (see "Related Content" at the bottom of each video write-up). It is also currently displayed in the "Recent Posts" links (right column) on every almost every page of this site. I figured you had already seen it and were busy making levels by now. I would have shot you an e-mail letting you know it was ready, but... well, you know.

Take a quick look in the areas I just mentioned. You'll see the links. :-)